P33 vs S35 for PCR sequencing

Klaus Salger salger at wap18.zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Jul 8 14:04:05 EST 1994

Lois C. Johnson (ljohnson at udcemail.udc.upenn.edu) wrote:
: Hi netters:
: 	Does anyone have any experience using P33 for sequencing versus
: S35?  What are the radioactive hazards, i.e. exposure; Is it as a bother a
:  P32 or is it treated like S35?  Is it worth the extra? cost.  I have
: heard it is more expensive thatn S35??  Has anyone out there used it for
: cycle sequencing?  All help would be appreciated.

: Thanks in advance,

: Lois C. Johnson
: Monell Center
: Philadelphia
: ljohnson at udcemail.udc.upenn.edu

I use 33P for cycle sequencing. 33P is hot enough to get readable
sequences after an overnight exposure but too "cool" to go through
the glas plates. In addition I never had contaminations of the
cycler (whick is said to be a problem with 35S).
Hope this helps
  Klaus

Klaus Salger
Zoologisches Institut