quiagen problems???

ellenmq at nickel.ucs.indiana.edu
Fri Jul 8 02:45:45 EST 1994

VOSS at AIMP1.UNA.AC.AT wrote:
: Hi out there,
: Did anybody else out there run into similar problems?
: Looking foreward to your experience
: Tilman

I'm sorry if I missed an earlier posting describing the problems that you
are having with the Qiagen preps, but I've used Qiagen preps since they've
been out and the only problem that I've ever had was when the buffers were
old and the pH had changed. They *do* warn of this potential problem, but
usually the kit is gone before there is a chance for this to happen.
Alternatively, if you make your own buffers instead of buying the kit, pH
of the buffers may be the issue.
The other difference that I've noticed in the latest versions of the Qiagen
method is that they switched from ethanol to isopropanol precipitation so
that very often from large scale preps you may not notice a precipitate or even
a pellet at the end. The DNA is usually there upon resuspension and subsequent
OD260 and gel analysis, but when you're used to *seeing* a pellet from large
scale alkaline lysis preps, it can be a shock.

I hope that I've hit on what you may have been asking about. If not, please
repost or alternatively send me e-mail. Perhaps I can help.

Ellen

E-mail: ellenmq at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu