Best vector for fusion prot.?

Morris F. Manolson mm6y+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 8 10:43:48 EST 1994

Dear net.mol.biologist, We are trying to create soluble fusion proteins
by placing different "soluble" domains of a protein into the pGEX series
of vectors.  What we always get back is inclusion bodies.  We are now
fishing around for different vectors that might increase our chances of
creating a soluble fusion protein.  I have seen some new vectors by
Novagen that have ompT and pelB leaders to help direct the fusion
protein to the periplasm.  Furthermore, Invitrogen has a new
"thiofusion" vector that is supposed to direct fusion proteins to
adhesion zones.  Can anyone recommend any of these vectors or any other
vector which really made the difference between getting a high yield of
a soluble fusion protein or getting insoluble.junk.garbage?  If there is
sufficient response, I will post a summary.  Thanks in advance, Morrie
Morris F. Manolson                     Tel:  416-813-6662  (office)
Division of Cell Biology                     416-813-5594  (lab)
Hospital for Sick Children                   416-813-5028  (FAX)
88 Elm St., McMaster building        email:  Morrie at resunix.ri.sickkids.on.ca
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5G 1X8