Mini-Prep Blues

gc genecutl at mendel.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 8 23:07:51 EST 1994

I've been using a boiling-lysis protocol for mini-preps and it used
to work beautifully.  The protocol involves vortexing the cells in
STET buffer, boiling, spinning down the precipitated crap, then
EtOH ppt the sup.
The pellet I got from this has a huge amount of protein in it, but,
surprisingly, my restriction digests always looked great and I even
had much greater success sequencing this DNA than DNA from alkaline
lysis preps.
The problem is now the mini-prep gods no longer smile on me and I'm
lucky to get a single sample to work out of twenty.  What can have gone
wrong?  Please don't tell me I have to go back to phenol/chloroform
hell.

--
--gc

I know you like rock 'n' roll. Have you considered overdosing
on heroin, like many of your pop-star favorites?  --Life in Hell