GAL4-AH -VP16

gc genecutl at mendel.berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 10 18:26:55 EST 1994

In article <Csoo0u.AMr at acsu.buffalo.edu>, vp23qw83 at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
(Xin Guo) wrote:

> Hi, everyone:
>
> Could someone please give me a quick anwser that what the AH and VP16
> in fusion proteins GAL4-AH and GAL4-VP16 stand for?
>
> Xin     vp23qw83 at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

AH stands for Acidic Helix.  This comes from an experiment in which
random E. coli DNA was fused to the DNA binding domain of Gal4 to
help figure out what sorts of sequences can activate transcription.
In the experiment they found that an acidic amphipathic helix could
activate.  I'm not sure if the AH is actually one of those E.coli
derived sequences or an artificial construct based on them.
GAL4-VP16 is a fusion of Gal4 and the bipartate activation domain
of the VP-16 protein.  VP-16 stands for Viral Protein-16, a very
descriptive name.

--
--gc

I know you like rock 'n' roll. Have you considered overdosing
on heroin, like many of your pop-star favorites?  --Life in Hell