Costar Spinex vs Amicon micropure

Sally Garrison garrisons at grace.cri.nz
Mon Jul 11 15:31:32 EST 1994

I'm looking to purify smallish (118bp) PCR products from agarose gels for
sequencing. I am looking at Costar spinex tubes and Amicon micropures to do it
with. I haven't used either of these products, from the info I have I
understand that with the spinex the DNA goes right thru the filter, leaving
the agarose on top, This would leave a (possibly) dilute sample in the gel
buffer. The amicon micropure seems to concentrate the sample and allow for
changing the buffer.

Have i got it right? Has anyone used these products for purification of pCR
products for sequencing, and what are the results? All advice/hints appreciated

Brian Scrimshaw
Wellington
New Zealand