Amp satellites

Robert Preston rapr at MED.PITT.EDU
Mon Jul 11 22:12:40 EST 1994

> Here is a puzzler. We have recently had a problem with
> satellite colonies on O/N growth of our Amp plates. This
> usually happens once a year or so. We have performed all
> manner of controls, such as increasing Amp concentration
> equivalent of 1 mg/ml!) We still get some satellites,
  [edited]
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
>                 Thanks,
>                 Richard Gayle

How about this for help:  why do you care?  You get the non-satellite
selectees, and the plasmid yield from minipreps or amplimer yield from
colony PCR is most likely not significantly affected by the satellites.
So, why not just enjoy the satellite patterns and get on with the main
project? (or am I missing some fine point?)

Rob Preston
rapr at med.pitt.edu