RNAse Free !?

Mon Jul 11 16:40:25 EST 1994

>Hello!
>What is the most reliable - and the least detrimental - anti-RNase
>treatment of
>microtome or cryostate blades to be used in in situ hybridization?
>How "bad" a blade's baking (eight hours, 200 c) is for its sharpness or its
>quality in general? Is incubation with hydrogen peroxide (3%) or with DEPC
>(0.1%?) satisfactory? What are other known methods?
>  A bit aside, what kind of RNase inhibitor is commonly used during processing
>tissue sections for ISH; is it used during hybridization step, too?
>  Thanks a lot for reading this and sharing your experience.
>  Bohdana Badzio
>  Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta
>  bbadzio at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

Molecular BioProducts has been sending free samples and literature on their
new product called RNaseAWAY.  I think it is some kind of highly alkaline
chemical to irreversibly modify the RNAse molecule.
They say (show some data) that it is very good in keeping labware and
counters entirely free of RNAses.  It seems like it would be ideal in your
situation.  Maybe you should give them a call, they should be more than
happy to give you a free sample.  You can evaluate it and post a followup
about your experience.  Unfortunately, I don't have any toll free numbers.
Send a fax at (619) 453-4367 for their literature.
No affiliations blah, blah....
Raj Shankarappa
bsh at med.pitt.edu