96-well minipreps

Kevin Clark kclark at immsvr.jr2.ox.ac.uk.
Mon Jul 11 08:50:48 EST 1994

In article <2vgu44$ehe at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>
drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk (David Micklem) writes:

> I used to have a very useful protocol for doing minipreps in 96 well
> plates.  Now I can't find the paper, and I can't remember the authors names
> or the journal, nor even the year!  I've done a bit of literature searching
> for it, but I just can't find it.
>
> Does anyone out there know this method and have a reference?  An outline of
> the method as I remember it follows:
>
>  Grow up bugs in 1ml tubes on 96well format (available USA/Scientific Plastics).
>
>  Using multichannel pipette, transfer 100ul each to 100ul glycerol for stocks.
>
>  Tranfer another 100ul to another 96-well plate.  Pellet cells
>
>  Prep DNA by a slightly modified alkaline lysis procedure. (This is the bit
> that I need the paper for!
>
> The DNA quality was fine for restriction analysis, but not great for sequencing.
>
> Thanks for your help.....
>
> David

If you DNA is in M13 have you tried magnetic bead preps?
I do 96 in about 1 hour using beads from Dynal which have lac Z on
them. These work fine for automatic sequencing.

\/\    /\/\    /\/\    /\/   kclark at immsvr.jr2.ox.ac.uk
 \/\  /\/\/\  /\/\/\  /\/    Institute of Molecular Medicine,
   \/\/    \/\/    \/\/ I've been here for 5 years and they only
                        hung me the right way up yesterday.