nonradioactive screening

Emma Macfarlane emma at HERA.MED.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Jul 12 17:08:26 EST 1994

Hi Barbara
I have used the Amersham ECL random prime labelling kit with a 900bp
probe for Southern blots and screening a genomic sub-library with good
results.  For the library screening I needed to use higher probe
concentrations than recommended and the detection steps are a bit messy
when you are dealing with a large number of filters.  I have also tried the
3'-labelling kit but in my hands it wasn't sensitive enough for library
screening (or Southern blots for that matter!).  I think the size of your
probe is just border line for the random prime labelling technique
(Amersham recommend >200bp) but it might be okay. If I can help with
any other questions feel free to e-mail me.
Good luck
Emma