phenol substitute for DNA/RNA?

APARKER at MAINE.MAINE.EDU APARKER at MAINE.MAINE.EDU
Tue Jul 12 14:47:10 EST 1994

In article <-110794143207 at dent-226-97.dentistry.umich.edu>, @umich.edu ( ) says:

>>       The widespread use of this reagent should be stopped if someone
>>       can find a safer replacement substance.
>What about Guanidinium Thiocynate? Beta Mercaptoethanol? Formaldehyde?
>Formamide? Even absolute ethanol is not good for you.

And in some instances, phenol isn't nasty _enough_!  I was recently
shown what was advertised as the niftiest way ever to get clean HMW
DNA from mollusks (notoriously snotty tissue).  The trick?  Substituting
METHYLENE CHLORIDE for phenol.  Talk about waste disposal hassles....