G418 selection of PA317

Graham Atherton grggta at picr.cr.man.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 04:46:40 EST 1994

Subj:	Re: PA317 and PG13 (mouse embryo) cell culture?

--
>Cheers,

>Martin
>
>NNNN   NN  Martin A Kennedy (E-mail = mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz)  ZZZZZZZ
>NN NN  NN       Cytogenetic and Molecular Oncology Unit          ZZZ
>NN  NN NN           Christchurch School of Medicine            ZZZ
>NN   NNNN              Christchurch, New Zealand              ZZZZZZZ
	      Phone (64-3)364-0880  Fax (64-3)364-0750

We routinely use 1mg/ml G418 for 3T3 and like cells (we treat PA317 as similar).
This gives us good selection as long as the cell are sub-confluent when G418 is
added - cell division is essential for this drug to work. I agree with Martin
that empirical determination would be best. A word of warning on PA317 - viral
production is markedly enhanced in our hands if selection is carried out in
the presence of HAT. Stressing the cells by selection in G418 seems to make
the cells lose the viral packaging function.