zen of PCR

Warren Gallin wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Thu Jul 14 11:08:30 EST 1994

In Article <301eo8$iqp at apollo.it.luc.edu>, gnew at orion.it.luc.edu (Gerri
Newfry) wrote:
>I have been happily plodding along, learning PCR and being pleasantly
>surprised that things seem to keep going well for me.  Well, of course,
>that had to end, and it has.
Stuff deleted

>  But hot and cold rxns gave the same results (ie., no
>bands).  Am I doomed to starting from scratch (making all new buffers,
>reoptimizing my reaction for Mg and pH, new enzymes, new lab....)????

  We just had this happen to us, and it turned out that the water quality
had deteriorated without our knowing it.  Check the source of your water and
make sure that the purification cartridges are new.  Also check that someone
didn't make a new solution recently using DEPC-treated water by mistake;
that will kill Taq very fast.
Warren Gallin,
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta
wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca