another GST story #2

Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at
Thu Jul 14 08:29:03 EST 1994

In article <9407131615.AA04027 at>,
emma at HERA.MED.UTORONTO.CA (Emma Macfarlane) wrote:

Delete some stuff

>The problem could be due to the
> protein not folding properly I suppose and consequently not running as a
> nice globular protein should on SDS-PAGE.

Delete some more

> Sorry for the clutter
> Emma

I have been under the impression since my grad school days that proteins
(after boiling in the presence of 2-mercaptoethanol and SDS) attain a
relatively unfolded configuration and run as rods on SDS-PAGE.  I thought
that this was the reason that sizes of proteins can be compared using the
relative mobility on SDS-Page gels as opposed to native gels:  All the
proteins have essentially the same shape as well as charge to mass ratio
(due to the SDS).  I'd appreciate knowing if my impressions are incorrect.

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.       Brown University/Roger Williams Medical Center
e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at         LandLine: 401-456-6572
America may be unique in being a country which has leapt from barbarism to decadence without touching civilization:  John O'Hara