What on earth is DE52?

Joseph C. Bagshaw jbagshaw at wpi.WPI.EDU
Fri Jul 15 15:35:40 EST 1994

In article <CszLK6.1n4 at acsu.buffalo.edu> vp23qw83 at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Xin Guo) writes:

>Hi, everyone:
>
>In a recent paper (Koleske, A.J. and Young, R.A. NATURE 1994,
>368:466-9), I came across DE52. Koleske utilized column DE52
>in their RNA polymerase II complex purification. What on earth
>is DE52? I can't find it in their referred referances and
>can't find in Bio Rad and Pharmacia catalogues either. Would
>someone please enlighten me on this? Thanks a lot.
>

>Xin              vp23qw83 at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

Groan!

Doesn't anybody learn protein purification anymore?  DE52 is a
pre-swollen form of DEAE-cellulose (diethylaminoethyl, in case
you never heard of it), from Whatman.  A generation ago, it was,
along with DEAE-Sephadex, a staple in the cupboard of every
grind-'em and find-'em enzyme hunter.  Having given up that way
of life, I'm not sure whether DE52 is still as standard as it
was then.

--
Joe Bagshaw, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
jbagshaw at wpi.wpi.edu
Roadkill on the information superhighway.