stable transfection

at umich.edu
Fri Jul 15 09:57:24 EST 1994

In article <2vue0u$ed7 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Clemens Suter-Crazzolara
<un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> dear netters,
> we would like to create a cell-line in a stable fashion, i.e. [D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[Dhuman cell-line that is stably transfected,
> i.e. a plasmid has integrated in the genome. what transfection
> method (or even *kit*) is the most useful for this ? i seem to
> remember that f.i. ca-po4 is better than dextrane-sulfate or
> lipo infection.

Well unfortunately there is no "transfect all" or "best" way of
transfection.
Every cell line is different and no one method works for all cells. The
best way is to simply try them all and see which works best. The methods
you have listed are the most common and lipofectamine is rapidly becoming a
standard as well. Many of these methods also need to be optimized too
before you can make your ultimated decision. In some cases these methods
can produce many more transients but no stables. Also take advantage of the
tech services of the companies that sell these transfection reagents if
available. If you have other questions you can email me at
sdcoon at umich.edu.

Steve