PCR vs. DNA Fingerprinting?

U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu
Thu Jul 14 20:49:45 EST 1994

I just read the Associated Press article on the DNA fingerprinting
done on the glove found in the O.J. Simpson case.

They make a distinction between DNA fingerprinting and PCR and this
confused me.  I thought all DNA testing was as a result of PCR,
otherwise, how do they have enough of a sample to work with?

As a matter of fact, the way the article described it, it almost
sounded like a southern blot.

Any comments or explanations would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

-Kathy