Mac Reference/Bibliography programs

neale at mbcf.stjude.org neale at mbcf.stjude.org
Thu Jul 14 17:52:47 EST 1994

In article <1994Jul14.104622.1 at vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au>, mikel at vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering if anyone can recommend reference/bibliography managers for
> the Mac's. I am about to undertake the writing of my PhD thesis and haven't
> got an idea about how to efficiently do my references. I was wondering if
> anyone could give me the ins and outs of particular programs.
>

> Many thanks
>
> Mike L
> Microbiology Department
> Monash Uni
> AUSTRALIA

Mike,

I use and like Reference Manager from Research Information Systems on my Mac.
It is useful for defining your own styles and applying them (as might be
required for your thesis), plus it creates the final document according to the
style required. I have found it very helpful in preparation of manuscripts and
in keeping my references organized (you can also import references from
Paperchase/Medline directly into your reference database, and then use those
citations in manuscripts without having to type them in etc)

Having said all that, I was browsing the bionet software newsgroup where a
similar question to yours was posed. Many responded that they loved Endnote, and
found Reference Manager "un-Mac-like". While I have not used Endnote, the
comments made me curious as to what features that program has to earn such rave
reviews. I am always ready to find a better solution!

Hope this helps.

Geoff Neale

Dept. of Virology and Molecular Biology        Internet: neale at mbcf.stjude.org
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital             Phone: (901) 522-0400
Memphis, TN                                         Fax: (901) 523-2622