ribosome re-entry

John Dixon jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 07:28:01 EST 1994

In article <wjia.1124621585B at 137.82.194.1>, wjia at unixg.ubc.ca (William
W.-G. Jia) wrote:

> Hi, everybody,
>     I would like to construct a plasmid for expression in mammalian cells
> which contains two genes controled by a single promoter (maybe CMV
> promoter). I heard that one can separate the two genes by a ribosome
> re-entry sequence. I wonder if anybody could tell me something about it. I
> would also like to know who has the sequence that I may get from. Please
> reply to my account. Thanks very much.
>

> William

The Internal Ribosome Entry Site is approx 560 bp long and was isolated
from picornaviruses (I think). We have been using one cloned into a
plasmid available from Novagen called pCITE-1. Only ref I could find
quickly was Construction of a bifunctional mRNA in the mouse by using the
IRES of the encephalomyocarditis virus.

--
John Dixon                     Lab (223) 334131
Wellcome/CRC Institute         Fax (223) 334134
Cambridge University           e-mail jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac
United Kingdom