What on earth is DE52?

Curt Ashendel ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu
Fri Jul 15 14:42:28 EST 1994

On Fri, 15 Jul 1994 15:58:00 GMT,
Xin Guo  <vp23qw83 at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu> wrote:
>In a recent paper (Koleske, A.J. and Young, R.A. NATURE 1994,
>368:466-9), I came across DE52. Koleske utilized column DE52
>in their RNA polymerase II complex purification. What on earth
>is DE52? I can't find it in their referred referances and
>can't find in Bio Rad and Pharmacia catalogues either. Would
>someone please enlighten me on this? Thanks a lot.

Ahh! Not a protein person I see...

DE52 = Diethyl-aminoethyl-cellulose (DEAE-cellulose), Whatman Grade 52.

Grade 52 is the most commonly used grade of Whatman DEAE cellulose.

It is sold by Whatman directly and also by general scientific distributors
such as Fisher Scientific.  No direct equivalent usually sold by Pharmacia
or BioRad who sell DEAE-agaroses (much more expensive??) instead.  In most
cases the agaroses will approximate the performance of the DE52.

Curt Ashendel
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN
ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu