Costar Spinex vs Amicon micropure

David L. Haviland, Ph.D. HAVILAND at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU
Sat Jul 16 00:53:05 EST 1994

In <garrisons.6.000F870A at grace.cri.nz> garrisons at grace.cri.nz writes:

> I'm looking to purify smallish (118bp) PCR products from agarose gels for
> sequencing. I am looking at Costar spinex tubes and Amicon micropures to do it
> with. I haven't used either of these products, from the info I have I
> understand that with the spinex the DNA goes right thru the filter, leaving
> the agarose on top, This would leave a (possibly) dilute sample in the gel
> buffer. The amicon micropure seems to concentrate the sample and allow for
> changing the buffer.
>
> Have i got it right? Has anyone used these products for purification of pCR
> products for sequencing, and what are the results? All advice/hints appreciated

Brian:

Yes, we have used the Spin-X columns.  So far everything has been
"ligate-able" and the largest restriction fragment that we've taken through
has been 6 kb.  Others in the lab have tried PCR products though not as
small as 118bp.  The volume of liquid is proportional to the starting
volume of liquid inthe gel when applied to the column so after spinning one
could do a a few dry butanol extractions.  We always (!) further purify the
fragment with 2 phenol/ 2 phenol-clfm/ 2 clfm extractions followed by
either NH4-Ac/EtOH pptns or if the fragment is big enough, a PEG pptn.
As I've said, what we obtained has performed well in ligations and labeling
as probe.

Hope this helps,
David

+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.	     Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"   +
+  Washington Univ. School of Med.   A.K.A : The Compiler                 +
+  Dept. of Peds./Pulm. Box 8116     ICBM-Net : Just hit St. Louis        +
+  400 S. Kingshighway               &-6  <- User is Brain Dead...        +
+  St. Louis, MO  63110              FAX: 314-454-2476                    +
+  (314) 454-6076                    Never will be politically correct!   +
+      REALITY.SYS  -  File Corrupted!  Re-BOOT Universe? (Y/N)...        +