Finding an "ancient" reference (1956) on-line?

Jim Owens jow at helix.nih.gov
Mon Jul 18 07:39:21 EST 1994

In article <9407151209.AA06969 at bono.oci.utoronto.ca> Jim Woodgett,
jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca writes:
>Is there a way of probing bibliographic information on-line?
Specifically
>I'm trying to source the title of a paper published in BBA in 1956 (20,
>150) and can't find a library close by that has it.

Take what I write as only a starting point since I am on very shaky
ground.

If you have access to a library with a Medline or Medlars account, the
librarian should be able to order a copy from a library that has the
issue.  I note you are in Toronto, and I do not know if there are Medline
or Medlars accounts outside the USA.

My guesses are based on experience using Grateful Med, a public domain
application from the National Library of Medicine (US).  There are
versions for Macintosh and DOS/Windows pcs.  You may find out how to get
Grateful Med by inquiring at
									gmhelp at gmedserv.nlm.nih.gov

Grateful Med includes a utility called Lonesome Doc which allows you to
request reprints through the NLM computer from a library in your
vicinity.  You need an ID number for that library as well as a Medline
account from which the request can be made and to which the fees can be
charged.  You probably can ask about this at the above e-mail address.

Good luck,

Jim Owens