another GST story #2

gc genecutl at
Mon Jul 18 22:12:18 EST 1994

In article <30dffk$h49 at>, "Matthias Zeiner"
<mzei at> wrote:

< SDS gel stuff>

> That's the generally accepted therory and, no doubt, many if not most
> proteins fit nicely into that scheme. But there are exceptions, just one
> example (might be interesting for Jean-Marc and Emma): There is a protein
> called dTAF40 because on a SDS gel it has the apparent molecular mass of 40
> kd. Molecular cloning of the cDNA revealed a molecular mass of only 29 kd
> (Cell 75, 519-530, 1993). Could anybody kindly give an explanation for this
> unusual migration on a SDS gel?
> Matthias Zeiner
> Inst. Biol. Chem.
> Heidelberg

Taf40 has an estimated pI is 9.39.  This may have something to do with
its anamolous migration.  Taf40 isn't that unusual, though.  A disparity of
10 kD between actual size and SDS-gel predicted size isn't that unusual.

I know you like rock 'n' roll. Have you considered overdosing
on heroin, like many of your pop-star favorites?  --Life in Hell