What on earth is DE52?

berry at biochem.unp.ac.za berry at biochem.unp.ac.za
Mon Jul 18 09:16:34 EST 1994

In article <CszLK6.1n4 at acsu.buffalo.edu> vp23qw83 at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Xin Guo) writes:

>Hi, everyone:
>
>In a recent paper (Koleske, A.J. and Young, R.A. NATURE 1994,
>368:466-9), I came across DE52. Koleske utilized column DE52
>in their RNA polymerase II complex purification. What on earth
>is DE52? I can't find it in their referred referances and
>can't find in Bio Rad and Pharmacia catalogues either. Would
>someone please enlighten me on this? Thanks a lot.
>

>Xin              vp23qw83 at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

Hello Xin

DE52 is rather an old-fashioned cellulose ion-exchange medium manufactured by Whatman, therefore not surprising you didn't find it in the Pharmacia or BioRad catalogues!!

For more info, contact your local Whatman agent.

The manual says:
"Diethylaminoethyl {i.e. DEAE} anion exchange media:
DE52    Pre-swollen microgranular, excllent resolution and good flow rate.
Applications = Biopolymers with low to high negative charges
Normal pH range = 2-9.5
small ion capacity = 0.88 - 1.08 meq/dry gram
protein capacity = 700 mg BSA/ d.g."

I suppose Pharmacia's DEAE Sephacell would be a good replacement if you can't get DE52, but any DEAE gel would work with minor ionic strength/pH changes.

Good luck

Ron Berry