DMSO to improve PCR specificity reference?

Stephen Nurrish s_nurrish at icrf.icnet.uk
Tue Jul 19 12:34:52 EST 1994

> Dear PCRists,
> I have a vague recollection of a paper suggesting that the addition of
> DMSO to PCR reactions can help with the specificity. Does anyone
> have the reference for this and/or any experience in using this trick?

it is NAR 18 (16) 4953 'A specificity enhancer for polymerase chain
reaction'
by Ted Hung, Ken Hak, and Kenneth Fong.

We've found it gives minimal effects and have always managed to solve our
PCR problems by varying the annealing temperature and/or Mg2+
concentration. Formamide to 2.5% works wonders for those difficult GC rich
regions.