5' RACE

Matthias Zeiner mzei at sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jul 19 09:31:55 EST 1994

On 18 Jul 1994 09:01:53 -0700, Martyn White wrote:

> I have been trying to clone the 5' end of a mRNA for 2 years
>now.   The main reason that all this time has been wasted is that I
>made the foolish mistake of purchasing the clontech amplifinder kit.
>After reading this newsgroup, it seems that I am not alone in this
>experience.  Now I have purchased the BRL RACE kit and have finally
>got a PCR fragment of the expected size which I am getting ready to
>sequence.   Isn't it about time that a class action suit was brought
>against Clontech for selling products that they must know to be
>defective and wasting the valuable time and resources of the medical
>research community?
>
>Very Sincerely
>
>Martyn White

Hi Martyn,

in fact you are not alone, my experiences with that amplifinder kit were
just as yours. Fortunately, I threw it away after 4 weeks of struggling, so
it didn't cause me a severe trauma. And what about the 5'end I was after?
I got it - without any of these commercial kits. Interestingly, Clontech
still do promote their RACE system, there are ads in some journals. I just
hope for them that they improved in the meantime the quality of some of the
components of the kit, e.g. T4 RNA Ligase, which did not work for me.
But probably all that is not true and we are simply to stupid to handle
this ingenious amplifinder kit (this seems to be Clontech's attitude
towards this affair).

Regards

Matthias Zeiner