sequencing of miniprep dna

Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at
Tue Jul 19 08:36:29 EST 1994

In article <305po0$e7f at>, drm21 at
(David Micklem (WCI)) wrote:

> >         ...scads of stuff deleted...
> Martin said....
> >
> >Melanie - yes! These are the cruddiest, dirtiest preps ever, with big
> >and they sequence beautifully.

stuff deleted:

> If after spinning you pull out the 'snotty' pellet with a toothpick, then add
> NH4Ac and Isoprop., the whole procedure only uses one tube, but seems to work
> David

I also agree, but have a question:  I have noticed that the quality of the
snot-ball will foretell the how well the DNA will sequence:  If the
snot-ball is really sticky the dna sequences well, if it is pasty rather
than snotty, it doesn't.  (Thats why I tootpick it out rather than pouring
the sup off). Any ideas about why this happens?

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.       Brown University/Roger Williams Medical Center
e-mail: Stephen_Lasky at         LandLine: 401-456-6572
America may be unique in being a country which has leapt from barbarism to decadence without touching civilization:  John O'Hara