RNA isolation

Tracy Aquilla aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu
Tue Jul 19 17:38:55 EST 1994

In Article <303gk6$ilq at nic.umass.edu>, bindu at titan.ucs.umass.edu (Bindu
Chawla) wrote:
>Hi, I have been trying to isolate total RNA from styles of flowers. The problem
is that one of the most abundant proteins in the style is RNAse and
therefore i have been getting partially degraded RNA, I have been usung a
buffer which has high concentration of urea and b-mercaptoethanol. Also I
haven't been using DEPC water or baking my glassware. This seems to have no
effect on leaf RNA isolation, though. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

    I suggest using TRI-Reagent (Molecular Research Center, Cinn. OH.
USA-1-800-462-9868) or TRI-zol (I think) from BRL/GIBCO (same product). I
have used it for about one year, it works well for cells and tissues, and I
like it! Also, the company has good customer service and tech. support.
    Tracy
Tracy Aquilla, Post-doctoral Research Associate
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics
University of Vermont, College of Medicine
aquilla at salus.med.uvm.edu