PCR vs. DNA Fingerprinting?

M. L. Huang rin0mxw at bumed30.med.navy.mil
Wed Jul 20 11:06:44 EST 1994

On Thu, 14 Jul 1994 20:49:45 CDT,
U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu  <U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu> wrote:

>I just read the Associated Press article on the DNA fingerprinting
>done on the glove found in the O.J. Simpson case.
>
>They make a distinction between DNA fingerprinting and PCR and this
>confused me.  I thought all DNA testing was as a result of PCR,
>otherwise, how do they have enough of a sample to work with?
>
>As a matter of fact, the way the article described it, it almost
>sounded like a southern blot.
>
>Any comments or explanations would be very helpful.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Kathy,

I think the process is like this:
     first, PCR to get enough DNA
     cut with specific enzymes
     Southern blot
     look for unique/signature bands, thus polymorphism or fingerprints

Both are used in forensic testing. PCR alone cannot give any
definite answers. Even both may not always be conclusive either.

Mark L. Huang, Ph.D.                         __l__   ______    __/\___/^\
Immune Cell Biology Program                 l  l  l l ---- l  /         _|
Naval Medical Research Institute            l__l__l l __l_ l  \          \
Code 61, 8901 Wisconsin Ave.                   l    l __l_ l   \         /
Bethesda, MD 20889-5607 U. S. A.               l    l______l    `\__/---'
E-mail: rin0mxw at bumed30.med.navy.mil              Zaijian!
Voice: (301) 295-1122 Fax: -6857     Bye! Au revoir! Ciao! Auf wiedersehen!