PCR gene construction refs

Robert Horton horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Wed Jul 20 17:48:02 EST 1994

ww40 (William_D_WARREN at UMAIL.UMD.EDU) wrote:
: I remember seeing a reference (I think it was in biotechniques) for using PCR
: to combine DNA fragments in situations where you don't have convenient
: restriction sites.
:
: As I recall you design 4 oligos to amplify the two DNA pieces, with the oligos
: were you want to join the fragments carrying sequences homologous to the other
: product at their 5' ends. Amplify the two fragments separately then mix the
: products of the two PCR reactions and use the outer primers only to amplify
: the joined product.
:
: Any refereneces for this much appreciated.
:

Gene 77(1989):61-68
BioTechiques (1990):528-535
U.S. Patent No.5,023,171 (1991)

Bob Horton (Ph.D.!)   /\ "Crash programs fail because of the theory that
U. of Minnesota, CBS  || with nine women pregnant you get a baby a month"
1479 Gortner Ave.    /||\   -Werner von Braun.  Disclaimer:"Bob who?"
St. Paul, MN 55108    ^^   horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu/(612) 624-3790