fixing chicken sperm

Roy Hammerstedt's lab SFM at psuvm.psu.edu
Wed Jul 20 09:02:24 EST 1994

We are trying to fix chicken sperm cells without destroying the plasma
membrane or a surface antigen to which we have a polyclonal antibody so we
can do direct and indirect immunofluorescence experiments.  We have tried
various combinations of paraformaldehyde, formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde,
picric acid and sucrose with no evidence of specific antibody binding.  Any
suggestions or ideas would be very useful.  Thanks in advance.

                                 Kathy Reed
                                 Biochemistry Program, Penn State University