pH of phenol/chloroform/isoamyl alcohol

Anthony C. acc4636 at tamsun.tamu.edu
Wed Jul 20 13:23:06 EST 1994

I normally buy phenol/chloroform/isoamyl alcohol ph 8 from boehringer
mannheim (spelling?) for RNA extractions from mammalian tissue.
They are having production problems so I need to get it from another
source now the other companies all advertise a 6-7 pH form with
buffer included to equilibrate it at pH8.  They make it sound tho
like the as is form is tris buffer at pH 8 with the phenol at ph 6.7
now this doesnt really seem possible but then Im not all that great
with chemistry, so for my RNA extractions is a phenol ph 8 buffer ph 8
what I need?  Thanks!