PCR gene construction refs

Song Tan tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch
Thu Jul 21 04:47:57 EST 1994

In article <Ct9GHA.5ny at news.cis.umn.edu>, horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
(Robert Horton) wrote:

> ww40 (William_D_WARREN at UMAIL.UMD.EDU) wrote:
> : I remember seeing a reference (I think it was in biotechniques) for
using PCR
> : to combine DNA fragments in situations where you don't have convenient
> : restriction sites.
[snip]
> : Any refereneces for this much appreciated.

> Gene 77(1989):61-68
> BioTechiques (1990):528-535
> U.S. Patent No.5,023,171 (1991)

> Bob Horton (Ph.D.!)   /\ "Crash programs fail because of the theory that
> U. of Minnesota, CBS  || with nine women pregnant you get a baby a month"
> 1479 Gortner Ave.    /||\   -Werner von Braun.  Disclaimer:"Bob who?"
> St. Paul, MN 55108    ^^   horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu/(612) 624-3790

One more reference that I like is:

Horton and Pease, Recombination and mutagenesis of DNA sequences using
PCR, PCR: A Practical Approach, IRL Press (1991), pp 217-247.

Bob is really too modest.  The terse references he listed are his own
work.  He's contributed a very important general method, gene SOEing, for
using PCR to manipulate DNA.  I think it's great he contributes to the
discussion on this newsgroup.

And hearty congratulations on that PhD, Bob!!

--
Song Tan
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biophysics
email:  tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch