PAGE gels cracking

Kevin M. Carr carrkevi at
Thu Jul 21 10:40:31 EST 1994

In article <1994Jul21.112021.29153 at>, menoud at
(Pierre-Alain Menoud) wrote:

> In article <dotzlaw-200794174921 at>,
dotzlaw at (Helmut Dotzlaw) says:

> >Hi all,
> >
> >A quick question - is there a way to prevent our 12.5% SDS mini-gels from
> >cracking when drying under vacuum?
> >
> The best trick, I found, to PA gels from cracking is to incubate them in
5-10% glycerol in water after destaining.

I used to use the glycerol trick (for 10% gels) to keep them from curling
and it works great *if* you seal them in an airtight container after they
are dried (seal-a-meal bags e.g.).  If left exposed to the atmosphere,
over time they would reabsorb moisture and end up a shattered mess. (I
finally decided curled up gels were better than dealing with this

Hope this helps.