PAGE gels cracking

Steven Striepeke sstriepk at crl.com
Thu Jul 21 16:18:13 EST 1994

At Glyko we use gels for separation of carbohydrates. These gels are
polyacrylamide of 20 to 35%. We don't use any fixation procedure because
the gels are imaged by a reader immeadiately after the electrophoresis is
finished ( detection is by fluorescence of a label for the carbohyrate).

Occaisionally we preserve gels by drying. Conventional gel drying doesn't
work for us because of the high percentage acrylamide and diffusion of
the bands. What we found worked for us  was to use a pourous hydrophobic
film (Teflon - manufactured by the people that make Gore-Tex) and a gel
dryer hooked up to a good vacuum pump. The hydrophobic membrane ensures
that the water isn't wicked away from the gel causing diffusion of the
bands.

Steve Striepeke
sstriepk at crl.com

helmut Dotzlaw (dotzlaw at ccu.umanitoba.ca) wrote: : Hi all,

: A quick question - is there a way to prevent our 12.5% SDS mini-gels from
: cracking when drying under vacuum?

: Details:

: Biorad mini gels, 12.5%, 1 mm
: Destained in 40% MeOH, 10% HAc
: Biorad 580 gel dryer, 80 C

: Thanks in advance,

: Helmut

: --
: Helmut Dotzlaw
:   University of Manitoba
:     Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
:        dotzlaw at ccu.umanitoba.ca