Separation of very hydrophobic peptides

sb9e sb9e at faraday.clas.virginia.edu
Thu Jul 21 11:39:04 EST 1994

In article <dh30-200794140754 at bc1.bc.chemie.th-darmstadt.de>
dh30 at pop.th-darmstadt.de (Peter Weber) writes:

> Hi, everybody!
>
> After BrCN-cleavage of a 140 KDa protein and lyophylisation, i tried to
> dissolve the products in 0.1% TFA + 15% Acetonitrile. However, only a
> certain part of the sample was redissolved. 100% Acetonitrile was nessecary
> to bring the rest of the peptides into solution.
> I wonder if it is possible to separate these peptides by reversed-phase
> HPLC for they might get lost on the column (I«d like to sequence them after
> separation). Has anybody out there any experience with the separation of
> very hydrophobic peptides?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Peter

     A few years ago we had this problem with a proteolipid. I don't
remember precisely the type of column, etc. One thing though: position
of the protein peak was very unusual, going out of the column much
faster than "normal" peptides (actually the material was first thrown
away because we thought it was just salts or contaminating lipids, and
then the protein could not be found anywhere!)

    Hope it helps,

    Serge
    sb9e at virginia.edu