long range PCR

eric c. anderson anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Thu Jul 21 11:31:24 EST 1994

In article <63245214B0 at uamercury.uark.edu>, DRHOADS at MERCURY.UARK.EDU ("Doug
Rhoads") wrote:
> >Dear People of the world can anybody give me more info on long-
> >range PCR.  I have heard it is possible to PCR 20kb or more and
> >I am keen to find out how.
> >

> Perkin Elmer advertises a new kit, GeneAmp XL PCR Kit, on page 298 of the
> most recent Science (v265, 15 July 1994).  They show gels for PCR upto 30
> kbp.

i just talked with the stratagen rep yesterday, and they are now producing
a product called Taq Extender which utilizes long distance PCR technology
created by Wayne Barnes here at Washington U. they show amplifications of
up to 10kb in their literature/ad, but i've seen some of Wayne's gels
showing amplifications between 15 and 20kb.  the best part of the
Stratagene system is that it's only a buffer which you add to your current
Taq based system just replacing your buffer with theirs.  it's relatively
inexpensive (when compared with the original plan for an extending Taq
derivative enzyme), and appears to work.  please note that i have not tried
this as of yet (but i'm going to order some of it soon) and i have nothing
to go on except what i got from the sales rep.  i do believe that it would
be something to consider though when you want to do long-distance PCR.  i
do know that it's cheaper than the Perkin Elmer kit, and since it doesn't
actually involve Taq, there are no patent problems to worry about.

hope this helps,
eric
--

BIG AIR...

NOT BIG PANTS!!!
eric c. anderson
anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
660 s. euclid box 8103
washington univ. school of medicine
dept of molecular biol. and pharmacology
st. loser, misery 63110