Gel purification of RNA

Uttam Rajbhandary bhandary at wccf.mit.edu
Fri Jul 22 20:40:00 EST 1994

In article <grandoni.774910351 at soma>, grandoni at soma.UMDNJ.EDU (Jerry Grandoni) writes...

>Does anyone know of a good method for purification of in vitro-synthesized
>RNA from a polyacrylamide gel?
>--
>     Jerry Grandoni, Ph.D.                              Tel. 609-566-6047
>     Dept. of Molecular Biology                         Fax. 609-566-6195
>     Univ. of Med. and Dent. of NJ
>     2 Medical Center Dr.
>     Stratford, NJ  08084-1489

I excise the band, and soak it overnight at 37oC in 0.1M NaAc, 10mM EDTA, pH
6.0, with 1% phenol.  The supernatant is removed, and 2.5 volumes of ethanol
is added.  Dry ice 10'; 15,000 x g 15min.  A single rinse with 80% ethanol
removes an traces of phenol remaining.  I've found this better than using SDS
as a nuclease inhibitor; the SDS is more difficult to remove.

Harold Drabkin
c/o bhandary at wccf.mit.edu