DNA sequencers

dmncli02 at uctvax.uct.ac.za dmncli02 at uctvax.uct.ac.za
Fri Jul 22 06:02:25 EST 1994

Dear All

My department is considering buying some DNA sequencing apparati to try to
automate the whole process. We unfortunately CANNOT afford the completely
automatic sequencers such as the ALF (Pharmacia) or the VISTRA (Amersham)

Instead we are considering buying the MWG - BIOTECH   DBE System GATC 1500 sold
by Boehringer MannHeim. Coupled to this system we thought we could also buy a
flatbed scanner such as the BaseSCANNER  FRN 6000 (Amersham).

I would appreciate constructive comments/criticisms about this sort of setup.
Are we wasting our money ? Are there any other economic alternatives out there?

Many thanks
Cliff Dominy
E-mail : cliff at molbiol.uct.ac.za