Do any journals take papers on disc?

Tony Hodge tph at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 22 04:58:37 EST 1994

Subject: Do any journals take papers on disc?
From: Graham Atherton, grggta at picr.cr.man.ac.uk
Date: 21 Jul 1994 11:18:31 +0100
In article <30li1n$n4g at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> Graham Atherton,
grggta at picr.cr.man.ac.uk writes:
>Does anyone know if any good journals take papers on disc, complete
with
>photo's scanned in and arranged via 'desktop publishing ' packages?
I think there are a
>few (Nucleic Acids Research for example?), but the majority do not?
>From what I can gather it is relatively inexpensive to get good
scanners now -
>less than #1000 for a good flatbed scanner and DTP programms such
as Corel 5 are
>reasonably within our price range. It would be a great help and
save a lot of
>time if we could avoid photographing gels/autorads and sticking
them on paper to
>send to journals for publication.
>Is the above technology simply not good enough for scientific
publication?
>Of course, buying a printer good enough to resolve pictures at the
quality
>produced by the scanner would be too expensive for us (#4-5000?) -
or do you
>know different?
>Thanks for any comments

Graham,

a number of journals seem to ask for a disk with the text in wp and
native text formats - Journal Cell Biology is one - but still
require original figures as camera ready copy.  The quality and
format of scans can vary and most good journals will want to make
their own figures to keep standards up and make figures legible for
readers.

.
Tony P Hodge
Structural Studies Division
Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Hills Road
Cambridge
CB2  2QH
UK