tips on casting sequencing gel

Shiao Y. Wang sywang at whale.st.usm.edu
Fri Jul 22 14:12:52 EST 1994

pzheng at VAXA.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU wrote:
: If you are still casting your own sequncing gels like me, here is a tip for
: you. Put sigmacote on both plates[despite what you have read from sequencing
: protocols]and proceed as usual. I started this as a mistake, but it worked
: beautifully everytime. This way you don't have to worry about air bubbles and
: the gel will always stick to the bottom plate when you take them apart.

One of my students made the same mistake. He couldn't pour the gel because
both plate were now hydrophobic and the acrylamide soln wouldn't enter between
the glass plates. So, proceed with caution.

Shiao Wang
University of Southern Mississippi