Efficient Co-Transfection Methods

ToddS41 todds41 at aol.com
Fri Jul 22 10:33:02 EST 1994

I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions for the most efficient
method of co-transfection of 2 or more plasmids into mammalian
fibroblasts, probably NIH 3T3 cells (attached cells).  We would like to do
some transactivation studies using co-transfection of plasmids but would
like to detect transfected cells using flow cytometry which means that the
transfection efficiency would have to be 5-10%.  I know there are
commercial kits that advertise improved calcium-phosphate methods,
liposome methods, etc.  Which one would be best?  What about
electroporation?  I was under the impression that the frequency of
co-transfection was low here; i.e., that most times single DNA molecules
got into cells.  Is this totally wrong?

Thanks
todds41 at aol.com