Kan vs Amp for eukaryotic vectors ?

Dave Bates dobates at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 22 13:14:09 EST 1994

In article <flo-220794083311 at port57.annex4.net.ubc.ca>
flo at unixg.ubc.ca (Roger Graham) writes:

> Netters,
>
> Pardon my ignorace, but is there any reason that E.coli - mammalian cell
> shuttle vectors for transfection are always based on ampicillin selection
> in E. coli? Is there some complication with expression/sequences of
> kanamycin or tetracycline or ... genes in mammalian host cell if shuttle
> plasmid is resistant to other antibiotics ? Or is this just because
> historically they are all derived from pUC ? Are there kanamycin resistance
> based mammalian transfection vectors around ?
>
>  Thanx,
>
> --
> Roger Graham
> Dept. of Biochemistry
> University of British Columbia
> Vancouver, B.C., Canada
> email : flo at unixg.ubc.ca

The pBK CMV and pBK RSV phagemids from Stratagene have kanamycin
resistance, which is very useful since it enables selection of
transfected mammalian cells using Geneticin. Mind you the Kanamycin
resistance isn't nearly as nice as Ampicillin resistance (l get less
efficiency of transformation with Kanamycin than with Ampicillin - I
have no idea why, suggestions welcome).

-
Dave Bates PhD                                     Tel: 916 752-7081
Postdoctoral Researcher                            Fax: 916 758-2554
Dept of Human Physiology                         email:
dobates at ucdavis.edu
University of California at Davis                drink: anything
Davis, California 95616, USA            No I don't have a sense of
humour
                                                now buy me a beer