Windows-based sequence software

Gary Rudnick rudnick at biomed.med.yale.edu
Fri Jul 22 12:37:33 EST 1994

In article <30mb2t$fpu at matt.ksu.ksu.edu> grieger at matt.ksu.ksu.edu (David M Grieger) writes:
>From: grieger at matt.ksu.ksu.edu (David M Grieger)
>Subject: Windows-based sequence software
>Date: 21 Jul 1994 12:25:49 -0500

>I am looking for a Windows-based software package that does the routine nucleic
>acid analysis, such as restriction site mapping, translation to protein
>sequence, etc.

We have used a DOS program, Clone Manager 3.1 (version 4 is available), for
some time and it has been very useful (one of the few DOS programs we use
anymore).  We recently purchased Gene Runner, which is a Windows app, and is
much better for designing cloning procedures, PCR and mutagenesis.
Unfortunately, Gene Runner is not very good at managing clones and keeping
track of plasmids you have constructed.  We have a demo of Vector NT, which
seems great for making nice pictures of your constructs, managing them, and
keeping track of which parts came from where, etc.  It also does cloning
strategy and oligo analysis for PCR and sequencing primers.  We're still
playing with the demo, so I can't give anything like a final opinion.

None of these guys are cheap.  Clone Manager and Gene Runner are both around
$400.  Vector NT is $1000, and there are still more expensive alternatives
like LaserGene and PC Gene that I haven't evaluated.

Vector NT (301) 216-0586
Gene Runner (800) 834-8574
Clone Manager S & E Software (?)

Gary Rudnick                       |voice (203) 785-4548
Department of Pharmacology         |fax (203) 785-7670
Yale University School of Medicine |bitnet RUDNICK at YALEMED
333 Cedar Street, P.O. Box 208066  |internet:
New Haven, CT 06520-8066           |RUDNICK at BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU