NIH Imaging software

Anthony Tomlinson anthony at pplros.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 09:19:22 EST 1994

Subject: Re: NIH Imaging software
From: Dietmar.Tietz
Date: 13 Jul 1994 09:20:28 +0100
In article <30084c$ec6 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> ,
Dietmar.Tietz at agrar.uni-giessen.de writes:

>> Hi,
>>
>> We would like to know more about the Imaging software that is
available
>> through NIH.  How can we get it? And any other comments!
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Liam Good
>>

>Subscribing to the new NIH Image mailing list is good way to get in
contact
>with other Image users and to get questions answered. It was set up by a
>group in the Soil Science Department at the University of Minnesota. To
>subscribe, send a message containing the line "subscribe nih-image <your
>name>" to listserv at soils.umn.edu.  ("Your name" is your actual name,
>NOT your e-mail address.  The e-mail address comes from the headers).
>
>------------------------------
>

>NIH Image is a public domain image processing package for the Macintosh.
>
>The home site for NIH Image is zippy.nimh.nih.gov in directory
/pub/nih-image.
>Copies exist in many places.  Wayne has changed his file names to include
>nih-image rather than just image, so that archie should be able to find
>copies, provided that other archivists preserve the name.
>
>Another good location is sumex-aim.stanford.edu (36.44.0.6)
>/info-mac/grf/util and mirrors of that site.
>
>-------------------------------
>
>This list is taken from the NIH-Image 1.52 manual.
>
>BRAIN
>(2-DG and receptor autoradiography)
>Image and Computer Vision Center,  Drexel University
>Philadelphia, PA
>215-895-1381
>
>NCSA Image, PalEdit, Layout, and Gel Reader (all public domain)
>(Scientific visualization, palette editing, gels)
>NCSA, Champaign, IL
>217-244-0072
>Anonymous ftp: zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu
>
>DIP Station
>(Medical image analysis, 16-bits, surface rendering)
>Hayden Image Processing Group
>Boulder, Colorado
>303-449-3433  (whc at po.cwru.edu)
>
>Photoshop
>(Color image processing, 24-bit to 8-bit color conversion,
>file conversion, plug-in modules)
>Adobe Systems
>Mountain View, CA
>415-961-4400
>Enhance
>Micro Frontier
>Des Moines, Iowa
>515-270-8109
>
>PixelTools, TCL-Image
>(Video rate processing, 1340x1035 frame grabber)
>Perceptics Corporation
>Knoxville, TN
>615-966-9200
>
>The Explorer
>(Medical image analysis)
>UCLA
>Los Angeles, CA
>213-825-0757
>
>Transform, View, Format, and Dicer
>(Scientific visualization, presentation graphics,
>volume visualization)
>Spyglass, Inc.
>Savoy, IL
> [...]
I am interested in any software for the Mac that can calibrate
gels/autorads so that molecular weights are calculated from band
mobilities using MW markers present on the image.  This is so that I can
eliminate my own incompetence with a ruler from data I am collecting from
repeated reprobings of a single Southern blot.  Somebody out there is
going to reply: "Use GelReader!" to which I reply "How?!"  I can't get it
to work, even when I follow the instructions to the letter.  Generating
the template seems to be the problem; if anyone has specific tips on
that, I'll be eternally grateful.

Anthony Tomlinson.