DNA synthesizers

jurgenson at cobra.uni.edu jurgenson at cobra.uni.edu
Sat Jul 23 10:58:53 EST 1994

I am currently looking at oligo nucleotide synthesizers.  I have used the
Beckman Oligo 1000.  I will soon be trying out the chruachem P250.  I have
considered the new one made by Pharmacea,  and perhaps will try out one from
ABI.  I also have the oportunity to purchase a used ABI 380 ?  Does any one
have any insite on the used machine from ABI? or any of the other models listed
above?  Is their a machine that I should look at that is not listed here.  My
synthesis needs are for teaching and research .  In molecular biology the oligo
synthesis rate may be considerable for short periods.  Any advice would be most
welcome.  My impression is that the Beckman is easy to use and convenient.  It
has a built in trytl monitor,  but its seems to use a lot of solvent  and the
reagents they sell are twice the price of those from other suppliers.