Vacuum Blotters: Suggestions?

Peter M. Muriana muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu
Sat Jul 23 10:08:11 EST 1994

In article <schamberlain-220794161036 at mel.uoregon.edu>, schamberlain at molbio.uoregon.edu (Steve C) writes:
>We are trying to identify vacuum blotting systems that people like to use
>and are happy with.  I looked at a Pharamacia system but was a little put
>off by the price about $1000.  If anyone knows of a good piece of equipment
>that they're happy with, I'd like to hear from you.  We'll be using it for
>Northerns and Southerns.  Anything out there for about $500 that's worth
>the effort?
>
>Steve

We were about to purchase a vacuum blotter but right before we did we got
the Turbo blotter from Schleicher & Schuell (spelling?) for about $50 or
$60.  It is basically a plastic basin with trough with which you do a
typical Southern except their system is set up so the capillary action is
downward instead of upward.  It works nicely - complete transfer of
digested genome (bacteria) in about 1 - 1.5 hrs.  My grad student told me
not to waste the money on a vacuum blotter since he liked the system and
didn't feel that a vacuum blotter would be worth it even if it could do it
in one hr.  Since we don't have tons of money - we spent it on a
hybridization oven instead!
Regards, PEter

*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.		Phone	= (317)-494-8284	*
*  Dept. of Food Science		FAX	= (317)-494-7953	*
*  Purdue University		E-mail	= muriana at aclcb.purdue.edu	*
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907                                        	*