Silver Staining of Protein Gels

Dietmar.Tietz at agrar.uni-giessen.de Dietmar.Tietz at agrar.uni-giessen.de
Sun Jul 24 04:27:41 EST 1994

> We are interested in methods for silver staiing of protein SDS gells
> whoch would give the highest signal to noise ratio.  The procedures
> that we are currently experimenting with were published over 10 years
> ago and show increased background staining.
>
> Thanks,  Herb Samuels

Dear Herb Samuels, please find attached a list of publications
that should contain useful information.

Good luck !  Dietmar Tietz

T. Rabilloud, L. Vuillard,C. Gilly and J.J. Lawrence,
Silver-staining of proteins in polyacrylamide gels: a general
overview. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand), 40, 57-75, 1994

J Heukeshoven and R. Dernick,  Improved silver staining procedure for
fast staining in  PhastSystem Development Unit. I. Staining of sodium
dodecyl sulfate gels. Electrophoresis, 9, 28-32, 1988

C.R. Merril, Advances in Electrophoresis (VCH), 1, 111-139, 1987 (Review)

J. Heukeshoven and R. Dernick, Simplified method for
silver staining of proteins in polyacrylamide gels and the mechanism
of silver staining.  Electrophoresis, 6, 103-112, 1985

E.W. Willoughby and A. Lambert, A sensitive silver stain for proteins
in agarose gels.  Anal.  Biochem., 130,  353-358, 1983

J.G. Guillemette and P.N. Lewis, Detection of subnanogram
quantities of DNA and RNA on native and denaturing polyacrylamide
and agarose gels by silver staining. Electrophoresis, 4,  92-94, 1983

B. Budowle, Increasing the sensitivity of protein detection
of a silver stain for agarose gels.  Electrophoresis, 5, 174-175, 1984

S. Peats, Quantitation of protein and DNA in silver-stained agarose gels.
Anal.  Biochem., 140, 178-182, 1984

*           Dietmar Tietz, Ph.D.,  Research Scientist            *
*            Biostatistics, Justus-Liebig-University             *
*            Ludwigstr. 27, D-35390 Giessen, Germany             *
*                  Phone: +49-(641)-702-6015                     *
*                   Fax: +49-(641)-702-5995                      *
*              Email: Dietmar.Tietz at Uni-Giessen.de               *