DNA synthesizers

Shiao Y. Wang sywang at whale.st.usm.edu
Sun Jul 24 23:03:25 EST 1994

jurgenson at cobra.uni.edu wrote:
: I am currently looking at oligo nucleotide synthesizers.  I have used the
: Beckman Oligo 1000.  I will soon be trying out the chruachem P250.  I have
: considered the new one made by Pharmacea,  and perhaps will try out one from
: ABI.  I also have the oportunity to purchase a used ABI 380 ?  Does any one
: have any insite on the used machine from ABI? or any of the other models listed
: above?  Is their a machine that I should look at that is not listed here.  My
: synthesis needs are for teaching and research .  In molecular biology the oligo
: synthesis rate may be considerable for short periods.  Any advice would be most
: welcome.  My impression is that the Beckman is easy to use and convenient.  It
: has a built in trytl monitor,  but its seems to use a lot of solvent  and the
: reagents they sell are twice the price of those from other suppliers.

Are you sure you need to have a synthesizer? We have one in the building
but few people use it now. IMHO, unless there is enough critical mass in
terms of usage, buying a synthesizer is just not worth it. The last time I
ordered oligos (about two months ago), it was $1.75 per base.

Shiao Wang
University of Southern Mississippi