Obtaining sequences?

Stuart Kuhstoss sk at lilly.com
Mon Jul 25 07:33:24 EST 1994

In Article <30tbguINN1ofd at sat.ipp-garching.mpg.de>, souza at alf.biochem.mpg.de
(Augustine Souza) wrote:
>Hello,
>Does anyone know how to recover a sequence of interest if it has been posted
>(in brief) in the newsgroup "bionet.molbio.genbank.updates". I'd like to get
>it by ftp or gopher or E-mail rather than wait until my site has updated its
>GenBank collection.
>Thanks
>A.E. Souza
=========

You can get sequences directly from NCBI by sending a mail message to
retrieve at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.  Leave subject line blank.  Enter the following

DATALIB genbank (this is the database you want to search. genbank is an example)
BEGIN
Accession number (or locus name, authors' names, etc)

You can get help by sending a message to the above address with the single
word help in the body of the message (no subject line needed).

HOpe this helps.

Stu Kuhstoss